Sunday, December 9, 2012

Lasagna Roll ups!


In my effort to clean out my freezers and organize my pantry before the baby comes I have been making some creative dinners. I found several containers of cottage cheese in my freezer that I needed to use up. However when you freeze cottage cheese it changes the consistency. It comes out more like ricotta then cottage cheese. So eating it straight out of the carton with a spoon like I normally do was out.  A friend shared a recipe for Lasagna roll ups that looked good in theory but as soon as I read the recipe I was out. Way to many ingredients. When you get more than 5 or so ingredients in a recipe I get ADD and can't focus. Not only is it too fussy for me, it gets too expensive when you are feeding 7 people.

My family however likes lasagna and I had some noodles left in my pantry so I decided to try making my own version.

These were a major hit in my house and by bedtime the entire 9x13 pan was empty and I was bummed there were none left for lunch the next day.

I decided to give the recipe another go tonight (I still had noodles in my pantry and cottage cheese in my freezer). Since they were such a hit in my house I decided to take some pics and share the recipe with you all.

Lasagna Roll ups

1/2 box lasagna noodles
1 container cottage cheese (or ricotta)
1 jar or can spaghetti sauce (I used a basil flavored one)
1 lb mozzarella cheese

*Cook lasagna noodles according to directions

*Mix cottage cheese or ricotta with a handful of mozzarella cheese.

*Spread a spoonful of spaghetti sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 pan

*Cut cooked lasagna noodles in half and spread a spoonful of cheese mixture on top.

*Roll up the noodles (I sort of folded versus rolling so as to not squish out all the cheese mixture)

*Place seam side down in the baking dish

*Once your pan is full you can layer any broken noodles on top. Also if you happen to have any leftover cheese mixture throw it on top as well.

*Next up top with the remaining spaghetti sauce and the rest of the mozzarella cheese.

**If you are making this to freeze stop here and cover with plastic wrap and tinfoil. When ready to eat just let thaw and follow the directions below**

*Bake at 350 for about 20min till it is heated through and your cheese is melted.

* Let sit for a minute or two and then go to town!


This must be good because my husband didn't even notice that it didn't have meat in it, and he hates to eat anything that doesn't contain meat.



1 comments on "Lasagna Roll ups!"

Raising Saints on December 9, 2012 at 6:16 PM said...

Ok, I'm in! I'm going to be trying this for sure! :)
DanielleM - MOMYS

 

One Mama's Journey Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez