Sunday, October 7, 2012

Peasant stew with fresh bread


Tonight's dinner is a peasant stew with fresh bread. This dinner could not be easier for me to make, although I did make some changes to the recipe. Instead of fresh chicken thighs I used the same amount of precooked and frozen chicken breast. Also instead of canned beans I used dried beans that had been cooked and frozen. I just threw the cooked and still frozen ingredients in the crockpot with the seasonings and set it on low to defrost and then warm up. Simple and so easy!

Peasant Stew
ground cumin $0.05 
salt $0.01 
black pepper $0.01

Chicken Breast $1.00 (I buy my chicken 20lbs for $20) 
onion $0.09
 Mexican-style stewed tomatoes with jalapeƱo peppers and spices $0.85 
chopped green chiles $0.89 
pinto beans $0.25
 kidney beans $0.25 
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro $0.29
1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream $0.47

Total for peasant stew: $4.16

Fresh Bread....okay I am taking some help here. I bought a pack of three rolls of frozen bread dough. $3 for the bag and all I have to do is defrost it, let it rise a bit, and bake it. Come on that is a killer deal! This bread is so soft and amazing that all of my children went back for seconds. I was lucky to get one piece! We put some homemade honey butter on it....yeah it was good!

Total for bread $1


Total for meal: $5.16

0 comments on "Peasant stew with fresh bread"

 

One Mama's Journey Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez