Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Blank Slate Muffins


 Years ago my children were diagnosed with a milk protein allergy and I ended up doing lots of research trying to find recipes for baked goods that didn't use any butter. I found the recipe for these muffins and  realized I could add anything I wanted to them. They quickly became my blank slate muffins. I have made so many different variations of these muffins that I can't even remember all of them anymore.

Blank Slate Muffins

1.5c flour
3/4c sugar
1tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1.5c fruit or veg puree
1 egg
1/3c oil
1/4c soy milk or cows milk

Once you get all the above mixed together you can add 1-2cups of another grain. I have done baby cereal, oatmeal, wheat germ, flax seed,etc. Just keep adding till it starts to thicken up but is still scoopable. Also you can add a few handfuls of dried fruit or chocolate chips if you like. Bake 350 for 25-30min.

I have found that you can use just about any type of oatmeal mix in these as well. You know those packages of flavored oatmeal? Works great in these. I also use prepared granola in them as well. The last batch of muffins I made had apple, honey, nuts, and raisin granola added. My husband said they were really good and tasted buttery. My kids go back for seconds every time I serve these. 

I make a massive batch of these muffins once or twice a month. Usually about 6 dozen or more at a time and then store them in the freezer till I am ready to use them. Another option is to turn these muffins into a loaf instead. A dozen muffins makes about 1 loaf, just double the baking time and check every so often till the center gets firm.

Financial breakdown  for the basic muffin mix:
flour  $0.13
sugar $0.75
baking powder $0.03
baking soda $0.02
salt $0.01
fruit or veg puree $1.50
egg $0.09
oil $0.20
milk $0.03

Total for 12 basic muffins: $2.76 
+any additional dried fruit or grain you choose to add

1 comments on "Blank Slate Muffins"

Chantel on October 4, 2013 at 6:59 PM said...

These muffins are wonderful! Thank you!

 

One Mama's Journey Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez